Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Fall Workshop Information

Despite how spectacular the above description makes me sound, I'm just a mom who didn't want her kids to have ordinary birthday cakes. I also didn't want to pay someone hundreds of dollars to make incredible cakes for me so I took up cake decorating.

Being a perfectionist by nature, I have spent years trying out different techniques to achieve the flawless results I desired on my cakes. This process has taught me one thing . . . and you must keep it our secret . . . it doesn't take talent folks. Seriously, it doesn't. (You can go on thinking I'm super talented if you would like.) All it takes is knowing the proper technique. I'm so convinced you will leave my workshop able to make cakes that look like mine, I'm not allowing any cake decorator who lives near my 43015 zip code to take my workshop. That's my competition!

Basic Buttercream/Fondant Workshop Topics:

1. How to level and fill cakes to prevent common problems such as bulging sides and leaking filling
2. How to make a delicious buttercream recipe using my secrets for creating airless icing
3. Tricks for icing cakes perfectly smooth with a crisp top edge
4. How to color fondant
5. Tips for achieving workable fondant, especially after coloring is added
6. How to make two different kinds of fondant bows
7. Techniques for using fondant to decorate a cake – making stripes, polka dots, basic figure making, and using a template to cut shapes

8. How to cover a cake with fondant (demonstration only)
9. My favorite fondant tools and where to purchase them
10. How do I? You give me the questions, I'll give you the answers.


When: Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 9:30 am-5 pm

Where: The Cake Cottage -Steamburg, NY -Once you are registered (see paypal link on sidebar) the address will be emailed to you. (Interstate 86-Exit 17)

Cost: Early bird registration (before October 12, 2010) will be $100. That includes a full day of instruction, all of your necessary supplies (except 2-8" round cakes), lunch and drinks. Since space is limited at the cottage, I encourage you to register as soon as possible. Simply click on the link in the upper right hand column of this page to pay using paypal. Once your workshop is paid in full, you will be registered and a space will be held for you. After October 12, registration will be $125 (if there are spots left.)

What to Bring: All of the cake decorating supplies you will need will be provided at the workshop. These supplies will be yours to keep at the end of the day. All you will need to bring with you is (2) 8" round cakes. After you have registered for the workshop, Lisa will email you some of her favorite cake recipes and tips for baking perfect cakes. Just complete this "homework" before the workshop, show up with your baked cakes, and Lisa will show you the rest.

Supplies Included in the Workshop:
*Do not buy these supplies. They will be provided for you.*
1. Cake turntable
2. Small spatula
3. Bench scraper
4. Fondant smoother
5. Cardboard cake circles
6. Pastry bags
7. Coupler
8. Fondant
9. Fondant rolling pin
10. Fondant cutter
11. Cornstarch pouf
12. Buttercream icing


These supplies will be yours to keep at the end of the workshop.

*Registration fees are non-refundable. If you are unable to make it, you may sell your spot to someone else but you are responsible for finding a replacement.*

Observer Only Option
Not sure cake decorating is for you???? Don't want to invest in all the equipment only to later decide you are "buttercream impaired?" Sign up for the OBSERVER ONLY workshop for only $50. Watch, listen, and try out some of the techniques using Lisa's supplies. You won't get to decorate your own cake to take home, but it will be fun just the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment